Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 3 - Reflection on Jenkins' "Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century"

     One topic that stood out for me in the reading was collective intelligence, one of the 11 core media literacy skills.  It is defined as "the ability to pool knowledge and compare notes with others towards a common goal" (Jenkins, p.39).  Like-minded individuals come together online and share what they know and create a knowledge bank that can be tapped by the group.  A group may develop something trivial, like a guide to a game or a movie, or work together to modify Google maps by sharing images they captured, in order to allow victims of Hurricane Katrina to find information about any specific location. 

     "The ideal of collective intelligence is a community that knows everything and individuals who know how to tap the community to acquire knowledge on a just-in-time basis" (p.42).  When I was choosing where to buy a house, for example, I "consulted" an online forum and got responses from a lot of people who actually lived in the area and were willing to share information. I didn't need to drive around and knock on people's doors to get the information.  The online community enabled me to get this information quickly and at minimal cost. 

     For me, collective intelligence is the best manifestation of the participatory culture of the Internet.  Everyone feels free to contribute and whatever they contribute is appropriately valued.  People have more community involvement and are solving problems together.  It is not just about absorbing more and more knowledge, but being able to share this knowledge with other people.  "We are moving away from a world in which some produce and many consume media, toward one in which everyone has a more active stake in the culture that is produced" (p.10). 

     Using Green's Model, collective intelligence falls under the Critical Dimension, wherein social practices such as literacy are socially constructed and individuals can act on and transform literacy.  Collective intelligence is what made Wikipedia what it is, an online encyclopedia formed by contributions of all kinds of people -- from the scholarly experts to the lay person, who may know just one bit of information about a subject.

     I believe that the digital media, through collective intelligence, empowers people and makes them active participants in the community.  One person cannot solve the world's problems, however, the Internet makes it possible for people to work together for a common good, even if it is something as simple as sharing a traffic update.  As teachers, we should not only encourage our students to expand their knowledge, but also teach them how to work with others and learn the value of teamwork, social awareness and active citizenship.
    







    



  

6 comments:

  1. I work often in teams or groups and in collaborative contexts in education, in my art form and in other business contexts. I agree with your thoughts. Do you engage in this practice yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to using the Internet as a source of information, I have also contributed in nursing and parenting forums. I know I'm not a parenting expert but I always have that feeling that I can share what I have learned as a mother of two girls. If with my tips I can help one or two mothers soothe their baby so both of them can have a good night's rest, it will be a great accomplishment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noemi,
    I found your experience with the online forum interesting. Do you think people would have been as willing to share with you in person? I wonder sometimes if we are more willing to unite in cyberspace than in life on the other side of the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online there is a "shield" of anonymity, so people who may be reluctant to speak up in person (due to shyness, limited English proficiency, or unfamiliarity with other cultures, maybe) will be more inclined to share their thoughts. I am not a native speaker of English myself, and the Internet enables me to make the proper choice of words before pressing "Enter". In real life, I do not have the ability to edit what I have just said. So, naturally I would be more inclined to participate online than in real life.

      Delete
  4. Noemi,
    I love your real-world examples of collective intelligence (i.e., locale research in buying your house, traffic update). Likewise, your closing sentence is a gem. It goes hand-in-hand with teaching students critical thinking skills and how to evaluate source material.
    Julie DeBold

    ReplyDelete